Swahili prawns are made with the freshest ingredients. Since this recipe is made on East African Coast, the prawns are usually part of the days catch.
We recommend that you make all your other dishes before preparing this recipe. Also doing all the prep work for the recipe makes it easier and faster to cook.
This recipe is so delicious! Best of all, it takes very little time to make it.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh root ginger, minced
2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup coconut milk
12 raw tiger prawns, shelled
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and ginger, stirring constantly to avoid any sticking or burning.
- Add coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a slight boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- At this point, if you will be serving it immediately, you may add the prawns, lemon juice and cilantro. If not, set sauce aside and complete step 5. when you are ready to serve.
This recipe is best served over plain steamed basmati or jasmine rice and with freshly steamed greens.
Swahili Prawns go well with Coconut Rice.
Click here for the recipe!