PLANTAIN FRITTERS RECIPE
Plantain Fritters are a popular West African appetizer. The recipe below is a simple and delicious.
Note:  If you cannot find plaintains, you substitute with semi-ripe bananas, which are sometimes available at most supermarkets.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
2 large plantains/semi-ripe bananas
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup water
¼ cup sliced onions
salt and pepper to season
FRYING INSTRUCTIONS:   Heat oil to 350°F. Drop batter into hot oil by tablespoonful and fry until golden brown.
- Dice the bananas.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, water and oil in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in onions and the diced bananas until well mixed.
- Oil a baking sheet and then drop the batter by tablespoonful onto the baking sheet.
BAKING INSTRUCTIONS:   Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- You can serve them as is with freshly ground black pepper and some salt.
- Serve these crispy appetizers hot, with a sprinkle of lemon juice.
- They also go well with hot sauce.
Plantains grow in tropical regions are grown in Africa as a food crop. They are similar to bananas but they do not have the same flavor. They come in different sizes and colors.
They can be purchased, year round, from Most supermarkets (Fresh produce section), African, Asian & Latin Grocery stores.
Vitamins:   A, B6 & C
Minerals:   Potassium & Calcium
• If boiling - select green, firm unripe ones.
• For Deep Frying - select yellowish, brown ones.
Cool, dark and dry place
Other Cooking Options
Plantains can be boiled, grilled, steamed, fried or baked.
From Plantain Fritters to Appetizer Recipes