ONION BHAJIA RECIPE
Fried Snacks are a favorite throughout East Africa and these crispy onion fritters are at the top of the list. The onion bhajia recipe below is a simple and delicious African appetizer which can also be served as a side dish.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
1 Cup Onions, thickly sliced into rings
1 Cup Gram (Chickpea) Flour
1 Pinch Baking Soda
½ Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tsp Red Chillies
½ Tsp Turmeric
½ Tsp Sugar
½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Pepper
2 Tbsp Cilantro
½ Cup Water
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Peel 2 Large onions and then slice into ½ in thick ring slices.
- In a bowl, mix well flour, baking soda, and spices with a whisk.
- Pour in water and lemon juice, then whisk into a smooth batter.
- Mix the onions and the batter until evenly mixed.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying to 375°F.
- Carefully drop the batter into the oil and fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel and then transfer into a 200°F oven to keep warm, before serving.
Simply sprinkle some fresh lemon juice over the bhajias or serve them plain.
You could also serve them with a dipping sauce of your choice.
For other appetizer recipes similar to this onion bhajia recipe, click here!