KENYAN BEAN STEW RECIPE
There are many Kenyan bean stew recipes but this one's super easy to make.
Beans are a main staple in East Africa, second to leafy greens. They are a great source of vegetable protein and are cooked as a stew on their own or mixed in with other vegetable ingredients in a variety of ways.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
2 cups cooked/canned beans (pinto or kidney)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow/red onion, diced
2 cloves fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diced/crushed tomatoes
1 tsp hot chili peppers (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan on medium heat.
- Add olive oil and onions and cook until soft before adding garlic, then cook for about one more 1 minute. Next add curry powder and stir it to prevent it from sticking.
- Next, stir in the beans and cook for a couple of minutes before adding tomatoes. Bring to a slight boil and then turn down to simmer.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
There are numerous ways you can serve this dish, it is such a versatile recipe.
- Serve over steamed rice.
- It's also a comforting soup on a cold day.
- You can serve it with warm Chapatis or stuff them into one to make a wrap.
This Kenyan Bean Stew goes really well with Pilau or Coconut Rice
Click here for these rice recipes.