ETHIOPIAN LENTIL STEW RECIPE
This Ethiopian Lentil Stew is so delicious! The recipe uses either red or brown lentils. Most Ethiopian kitchens will often stock lentils as a staple in their pantry.
Created for lent days when meat is not eaten, its a great alternative on days when you need to take a break from meat.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
2 cups lentils
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow/red onion, diced
2 cloves fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 large potato, diced
1 tbsp berebere spice mix
1 tsp jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
1 cup bell peppers
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add olive oil and onions and cook until soft.
- Next, add garlic and jalapeno pepper then cook for about 1 minute, before adding spices and stir for another minute to prevent it from sticking.
- Put in lentils and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add either 4 cups of water or broth and bring to a slight boil and then turn down to simmer and cook for about 30 minutes or longer if needed.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Serve this recipe the way you would any stew.
- You can serve it over steamed rice.
- Serve it as a soup with crackers.
For a traditional Ethiopian meal, serve this
Ethiopian Lentil Stew with one of our Injera recipe