EASY HUMMUS RECIPE
Pre-made Hummus can be purchased from most supermarkets but you can make your own using our easy Hummus recipe, which is rather easy to make. This high fiber spread is a great addition to a vegetarian diet and can be eaten on days when you aren't eating any meat protein.
Mainly made in North Africa, in countries like Morocco and Egypt, hummus is well known as a spread or dip in North America. It is made from chickpeas which are a staple in most North African kitchens. You can purchase it ready made at your local grocery store but why not make your own from scratch? It takes little time to prepare and it makes a healthy snack as well.
NOTE: Traditional Hummus recipes use tahini (sesame seed butter) but you can omit it if you prefer.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
2 cups soaked chickpeas or 2 canned chickpeas or 1 cup dry unsoaked
1 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup water or ¼ liquid from canned chickpeas
¼ cup tahini
½ lemon (juiced)
salt & pepper to season
3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped(optional)
Pinch of cayenne pepper
- In a blender, mix all ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill and to allow the flavours to mix, for at least an hour before using.
- Serve on crisp crackers or on wedges of pita bread.
- Serve as a dip with freshly cut vegetables.
- Use in place of mayonnaise when making a wrap or a sandwich.
To make this easy Hummus Recipe with
our tahini sauce, Click here!