This Coconut Rice recipe is from the East African coast.
It is one of those simple recipes that's easy to make and it has a sweet pleasant flavor that compliments any spicy meat, seafood or vegetable dish!
To make this recipe, you will need the following:
3 cups water
1 cup thick coconut milk
2 cups White Basmati /Jasmine Rice
salt to taste (optional)
- Wash Rice until the water is clear and not cloudy.
- In a large saucepan, bring rice, coconut milk and water to a rapid boil.
- Put lid on and immediately turn heat down to simmer.
- Cook until water has dried out about 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
The above recipe is from Zanzibar, but it is also made at the Kenyan Coast. The coconut milk is always freshly made because of the abundance of fresh coconuts. It is served with spicy meat, seafood or vegetable dishes.
At the Kenyan coast, Coconut Rice is typically served with
either a vegetable, meat or fish sauce.
Click here for a list of possibilities!