CHICKPEA CURRY RECIPE
Morocco and Egypt consume chickpeas as a main staple. This recipe was inspired by a Moroccan chickpea stew and is one of the most delicious Chickpea Curry recipes!
It is a great side dish on its own but its heartiness makes it a perfect main dish.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow/red onion, diced
2 cloves fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp cumin seeds, crushed
1 cup diced/crushed tomatoes
2 cups soaked/canned chickpeas
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan on medium heat.
- Add olive oil and onions and cook until soft before adding garlic, ginger, and jalapeno pepper and cook for about 1 minute. Next add spices and stir for another minute to prevent it from sticking.
- Put in the chickpeas and cook for a couple of minutes before adding tomatoes. Bring to a slight boil and then turn down to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or longer if you desire.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Serve over our easy Couscous recipe with finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Or with Coconut Rice with freshly chopped cilantro.
- You can also mash it and make a wrap using either a Chapati or a pita.
Go to our Chapatis Recipe,
for a perfect compliment to this Chickpea Curry