BOILED PLANTAIN RECIPE
This Boiled Plantain recipe is such a healthy appetizer and it takes such a short time to cook and prepare it.
Note:   If you cannot find plantains, you can substitute with green unripe bananas, which are sometimes available at most supermarkets.
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
4 large green plantains/bananas
- Peel the plantains/bananas with a knife.
- Place them in a saucepan with just enough salt water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender. Check occasionally to ensure that there is still enough water.
- Remove from stove and drain any left over liquid.
- Grind or sprinkle some black pepper and lemon juice before serving.
- This recipe is delicious with fish stew.
- You can also serve it with either a vegetable or a meat stew.
ADDITIONAL PLANTAIN INFORMATION
Plantains mainly grow in tropical regions. They are grown extensively in Africa as a food crop. Although they are similar to bananas, they are firmer and contain less sugar. The other difference is that plantains are mainly used for cooking, while bananas are eaten as is. Since they are more starchy, they can be used in the same way as potatoes. They come in a variety sizes and colors.
They can be purchased, year round, from most supermarkets in the fresh produce section, or at African, Asian & Latin Grocery stores.
Vitamins:   A, B6 & C
Minerals:   Potassium & Calcium
•  If boiling - select green, firm unripe ones.
•  For Deep Frying - select yellowish, brown ones.
Cool, dark and dry place
Other Cooking Options
Plantains can be boiled, grilled, steamed, fried or baked.
From Boiled Plantain to Appetizer Recipes