BHAJIAS (Potato Fritters)
Bhajias are spiced Potato Fritters, which are very similar to Pakoras. They are originally from India and were introduced to East Africa where they are very popular as a snack. You can buy them instead of French Fries at many snack shops and some restaurants.
They make perfect appetizers and are surprisingly simple to make.
If you are having burgers, you might want to try making these in place of french fries. They compliment them well and your guests will love them.
This recipe uses the most basic spices but they taste amazing!
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
1 Cup Potatoes, thinly sliced
1 Cup Gram (Chickpea) Flour
1 Pinch Baking Soda
½ Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tsp Red Chillies
½ Tsp Turmeric
½ Tsp Sugar
½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Pepper
2 Tbsp Cilantro
½ Cup Water
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Thinly slice 1 cup of potatoes and place in a bowl of cold water.
- In a bowl, mix well flour, baking soda, and spices with a whisk.
- Pour in water and lemon juice, then whisk into a smooth batter.
- Drain potatoes and dry them with a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Mix the potatoes and the batter until evenly mixed.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying to 375°F.
- Carefully drop the batter into the oil and fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel and then transfer into a 200°F oven to keep warm, until ready to serve.
The best way to serve these tasty appetizers is with our chili sauce.
You can also sprinkle some fresh lemon juice before serving.
For other appetizers similar to these Bhajias, go to our fritters recipe page.