AKARA FRITTERS RECIPE
Black Eyed Pea Fritters (West Africa)
Akara Fritters are a West African appetizer made from black eyed peas, which are also known as black eyed beans.
They have a smooth texture, with a pea-like flavor and are a good source of vegetable protein. Like most beans, they are high in fiber and low in fat.
Although traditional recipes use freshly homemade soaked beans, you can substitute with canned beans, which will cut the preparation time by quite a bit. If you can't find canned beans, you can easily to soak your own. Home soaked beans taste even better,so if you have some time, make your own!
To Make this recipe, you will need the following:
2 cups cooked black eyed peas (black eyed beans), mashed
½ cup onion, minced
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp hot chili peppers
salt & pepper to season
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 10-12 equal portions and then shape into small balls.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 30-60 min or overnight.
Heat oil to 350°F. Drop the balls into hot oil with a large spoon and cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown in color. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Let cool slightly, before serving with your favorite hot sauce!
- These fritters are great served hot with your favorite hot sauce!
- You can also serve them with our spicy peanut sauce.
- They also make a fantastic tasty snack.
Try try other appetizers recipes like these
Akara Fritters, click here!
Go to our African Food Recipes Home Page to
explore more of our recipes!